Mirabel Assault Claim Sparks Debate as Neighbour Questions TikToker’s Account in Lagos!
Reported by Mustapha Labake Omowumi (Journalist) | Sele Media Africa
A viral video by Nigerian TikTok user Mirabel (@mirab351) alleging sexual assault in her Lagos apartment has stirred public outcry, while a neighbour has publicly cast doubt on key elements of her account, complicating an already intense conversation online and offline.
The Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA) confirmed it is actively trying to locate Mirabel to provide support after her video went viral earlier this week. The hashtag #StopRapingWomen trended on X (formerly Twitter), as thousands expressed outrage and called for justice.
In the original video, Mirabel claimed the alleged incident occurred on Sunday, February 15. She described suffering from insomnia, consuming alcohol that morning, and hearing a knock at her apartment door. She said that upon opening it, she was shoved, lost consciousness, and later regained awareness to find a man assaulting her. According to her account, she sustained injuries and later received a message from an individual claiming responsibility.
Mirabel also shared screenshots of an alleged message from a man identified as “Priston,” in which he purportedly claimed familial influence that could “bury the case” before it reached court a revelation that heightened public anger and attention.
In a follow-up clip, she disclosed attempting suicide by ingesting a toxic substance but was rescued by a friend who took her to a hospital for urgent care.
However, a neighbour living in the same compound has questioned significant aspects of her story. The neighbour told community contacts that no screams or unusual commotion were heard on the day of the alleged incident and suggested the assault may not have occurred as described. They also challenged Mirabel’s claim regarding her mother’s recent passing, citing her social media activity as contradicting the timeline, and noted she had previously been seen in the company of a man at the compound. This statement, if verified, adds complexity to public perceptions of the case. (Neighbour statement not yet independently confirmed by major media outlets.)
Authorities have not verified the neighbour’s remarks. The DSVA and law enforcement continue to emphasize that all survivors deserve protection, care, and justice, and they have urged anyone with credible information that could help locate Mirabel to contact official channels.
While neither the assault claim nor the neighbour’s counter-claim has been independently confirmed, the situation underscores the challenges social media can pose in reporting sensitive and traumatic allegations, reinforcing the need for responsible journalism, thorough investigations, and robust survivor support.
Sources:
Premium Times
PUNCH
TheCable Lifestyle
Jomog
About The Author
Discover more from Sele Media Africa
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

